Wednesday 22 May 2013

ZAHOOR AHMAD MIR OF MAQBOOZA JAMMU AND KASHMIR, THE SON OF MUHAMMAD ALI MIR CONTINUES TO WAIT FOR OVER 16 YEARS FOR THE RETURN OF HIS FATHER’S REMAINS WHO WAS MURDERED IN A STATE SPONSORED PLOT BY THE INDIAN GOVERNMENT ON JUNE 26, 1996 IN ATTEMPT TO SUPPRESS THE FREEDOM MOVEMENT: HABIB YOUSAFZAI KASHMIR DIASPORA ALLIANCE


ZAHOOR AHMAD MIR OF MAQBOOZA JAMMU AND KASHMIR, THE SON OF MUHAMMAD ALI MIR CONTINUES TO WAIT FOR OVER 16 YEARS FOR THE RETURN OF HIS FATHER’S REMAINS WHO WAS MURDERED IN A STATE SPONSORED PLOT BY THE INDIAN GOVERNMENT ON JUNE 26, 1996 
IN ATTEMPT TO SUPPRESS THE FREEDOM MOVEMENT: 
HABIB YOUSAFZAI KASHMIR DIASPORA ALLIANCE


16 years on, son looks for father’s grave

Rejects ‘blood money’, says ‘Govt gunmen shattered my happy family’

Papa Kistwari’s Paap

ARIF SHAFI WANI

Srinagar, May 22: For Zahoor Ahmad Mir of Nishat locality here, every day begins with a hope to locate his father’s grave, but to no avail. This has been a routine for the past 16 years.His father Ali Muhammad Mir (45) was allegedly abducted and killed by notorious government gunmen Papa Kishtwari on June 26, 1996. Sifting through piles of papers in his modest house at Ganaie Mohalla Brein Nishat, Zahoor Ahmad Mir recalls his ordeal and struggle since the day his father was killed. “For past over 16 years, I have been fighting to locate my father’s grave and get his killers punished. I have faced many tribulations and even threats but I won’t give up till I locate his grave,” Mir said and broke down.

Mir was living a happy family life till June 26, 1996 when his father went missing from high security Oberoi Crossing here. The hapless family lodged a missing report and police arrested one of the close aides of Papa Kishtwari. “Some policemen told me that during interrogation, he (Papa Kistwari’s close aide) confessed that my father was abducted and killed by Kishtwari,” Mir said. An FIR (16/2007) was lodged in Nishat police station against Kishtwari under section 302, 342, 364, 201, 120B RPC. Mir said despite the disclosure and FIRs the accused were not arrested. However, this did not deter Mir from pursuing the case through petitions and protests. Mir’s joys knew no bounds when Kishtwari was arrested in April 2007 when his act of encroachment on a local graveyard triggered off massive protests.

After police resorted to ‘dilly-dallying’, Mir had approached the State Human Rights Commission which had directed the then Director General of Police (DGP) to investigate the case through a special team. On July 5, 2008, the special police team finally filed a challan against Kishtwari in the killing of Ali Muhammad Mir in the Court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar. One of the prime witnesses in the case had deposed before the court that Ali Muhammad Mir was bundled in a white security gypsy near Oberoi crossing. “The gypsy belongs to Kishtwari’s close relatives who unsuccessfully contested elections. Ironically, Police failed to produce other witnesses in the case…it is going slow on the case. Though three accused included Kishtwari were arrested in the case but police have failed to locate my father’s grave or the weapons of offence,” Mir said.  Kishtwari had unsuccessfully contested Assembly elections of 1996. He had joined National Conference and remained a protected person till he was arrested in 2007. Subsequently the NC leadership expelled him from the party. 

Mir claimed that since 1996 he faced many threats. “Government gunmen many times threatened to kill me if I continue to pursue the case. Later on Court and SHRC directions, government allotted me two PSOs but later one of them was withdrawn,” he said. Braving all odds and threats, Mir offered stiff resistance and valiantly pursued the case. “Kishtwari’s relatives even offered me blood money of Rs 35 lakhs which is refused. I told them to show me my father’s grave and I will gift them all my property,” he said.  To protest against ‘dilly-dallying tactics’ by police, Mir has decided to hold a hunger strike on Thursday, May 23. “Government and police are hell-bent to safeguard the accused in my father’s killing. To register my protest against this, I will hold the hunger strike. Senior separatist leaders have assured me of full support,” he said. “My last wish is to locate my father’s grave and offer prayers for peace to his soul,” he said with moist eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment